Job Opening: DevOps Engineer
November 22, 2012
We're looking for a full-time, salaried DevOps engineer to work with our existing hosting and system administration team and consult with our clients on their needs. If you like to figure out problems, solve them, can take responsibility for getting a job done well without intensive oversight, please read on!
What is in it for you?
- Work from your home office
- Flexible full-time work hours
- Health insurance benefit
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Annual bonus opportunity
- Ability to move without being tied to your job location
What you will be doing:
- Remotely set up and maintain Linux servers (mostly RHEL/CentOS, Debian, and Ubuntu), daemons, and custom software written mostly in Ruby, Python, Perl, and PHP
- Audit and improve security, reliability, backups, monitoring (with Nagios etc.)
- Support developer use of major language ecosystems: Perl's CPAN, Python PyPI (pip/easy_install), Ruby gems, PHP PEAR/PECL, etc.
- Automate provisioning with Chef, Puppet, etc.
- Work with internal and customer systems and staff
- Use open source tools and contribute back as opportunity arises
- Use your desktop platform of choice: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows
What you will need:
- Professional experience with Linux system administration, networking, firewalls, Apache or nginx web servers, SSL, DNS
- A customer-centered focus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience directing your own work, and working from home
- Ability to learn new technologies
- Willingness to shift work time to evening and weekend hours when required
Bonus points for experience:
- Packaging software for RPM, Yum, and apt/dpkg
- Managing Amazon Web Services, Rackspace Cloud, Heroku, or other cloud hosting services
- Working with PostgreSQL, MySQL, Cassandra, CouchDB, or other databases
- Complying or auditing for PCI and other security standards
- Using load balancers, virtualization (kvm, Xen, VirtualBox, VMware), FC or iSCSI SAN storage
- Contributing to open source projects
End Point is a 17-year-old Internet consulting company based in New York City, with 31 full-time employees working mostly remotely from home offices. We serve over 200 clients ranging from small family businesses to large corporations, using a variety of open source technologies. Our team is made up of strong ecommerce, database, and system administration talent, working together using ssh, Screen and tmux, IRC, Google+ Hangouts, Skype, and good old phones.
How to apply
Please email us an introduction to email@example.com to apply. Include a resume and your GitHub or other URLs that would help us get to know you. We look forward to hearing from you!